Monday, March 24, 2008

Gary Cooper is packing the Heat and Slinging hot lead.

Last summer I starting comparing John Maine to Gary Cooper in the movie High Noon. Like Gary Cooper, John is quiet and unassuming while going about his job. But he also shows no fear, and isn't afraid to challenge people when the need arises. At times last year when no one else wanted to pick the team up, John would go out and face the bad guys alone and put them in their graves. Well, he's back this spring and he looks even nastier. And he's packing a fastball that doesn't quit.

I've always like John since his call up in July of '06. I frequently catch flax from e-mailers to the local sports talk radio program because of my praise of his efforts and results. But there's no denying his talent and heart. He has been the best pitcher this spring, and is almost unhittable. He's been even better than Santana and Pedro. His fastball has been in the mid 90's and his slider and change-up have improved greatly from last year. In 6 games this spring, John has pitched 25.1 innings, given up 5 runs, 17 hits, 5 walks, and has 28 strikeouts. And most of those hits and runs came in his 1st start. After today's game, his ERA is a tiny 1.78. He should have 1 more start before the season opener, but he's already pitching like it's mid-season. I don't care what anyone says, John is poised to become the Mets version of Josh Beckett. At this point in his career, John is actually a better pitcher than Josh was. The only thing lacking is a World Series MVP and Ring. As long as John Stays healthy, he'll be a force in the league for years to come.

The Mets would be wise to sign him this off season to a long term [5 year] contract. I believe he'll be pushing Johan all season for the most wins and the most strikeouts. Although I believe Johan will win out in the end, it should be fun to see them go back and forth all season. Pedro may be the #2 starter, but in all reality John is the second best pitcher on the staff. Although Willie has set the rotation as Johan #1, Pedro #2, Perez #3, Maine #4, and someone besides El' Duque as the #5, It more to do with balancing the rotation then setting it by merit. I'm itching for the season to start, and can't wait to see John get the national recognition he deserves.

Now I know Guinness may not agree with me on some of my statements regarding John, but what about the rest of you? Am I out in left field, or is Gary Cooper ready to prove me right?

No comments: