Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Mets News of the Day

Hello everyone. I hope all is well in your lives and you find time to check in on Guinness and Myself once in awhile. We're getting to the silly season now with rumors and trade talks. The GM's are meeting now to see what might be out there for the Winter meetings.

First, I want to congratulate David Wright and Carlos Beltran. They were both named Rawlings Gold Glove winners today. It's Beltran's 2nd in a row with the Mets. He and Tommy Agee are the only 2 Mets outfielders to win a Gold Glove. David joins Robin Ventura as the only 3rd basemen in Mets history to win Gold Gloves. Wright also became only the ninth player in MLB history to win a Gold Glove in the same season he hit at least 30 home runs and stole at least 30 bases. He's the second infielder and the first third baseman to do so. Only Ryan Zimmerman played more innings, had more chances, and had more assists. But Zimmerman also had more errors, and half of David's errors were on throws. If the Mets actually had a good 1st baseman, David would probably have had at least 5 less errors.

Ok now for some rumors on the personal front. Signs point to Glavine going to the Braves. But, Omar is talking about trading for Garland, Contreras, or Blanton.

Why would Omar even think of getting another 40+ Cuban pitcher who can't stay healthy? I like El Duque, but he's too fragile to last 200 innings, and Contreras is no better. He only pitched 189 innings this year, had an ERA of 5.57, and gave up 232 hits while walking 62 batters. Not someone I'd be pleased with in the rotation.

Garland I'm not sure of. He seems to be a little wild. He walks half as many batters as he strikes out. He also has had arm issues this year. I guess it depends on what the Mets give up in the trade.

Carlos Silva is another name floating around. Why? The Mets need a STUD ACE, not a #4 or 5 starter. If we're going the Silva route, why not just sign Benson again. Baltimore released him, so it wouldn't cost much and he'll sign cheap. I don't even think Anna will follow him. I hear they have issues.

Blanton is good, but not an ACE. He's more of a #2 or #3 Starter. He eats innings [230+ this yr.], is young, but also doesn't blow hitters away. He'd be good, but I worry what about the innings, and what that may mean in the future. The Mets don't need another sore armed pitcher in the rotation. I hope they check his arm out real closely before signing him.

I've heard that the Devil Rays are letting teams know that they're willing to talk about trading pitchers to any team interested. Could that mean that Kazmir is available? If Santana isn't possible, Kazmir would be a great 2nd choice. And he probably wouldn't be as expensive. Scott is also under contract for 3 more years. That means no 1 year rental on him. He did pitch 206+ innings and struck out 239. He also had an ERA of 3.48 on a lousy team. He does tend to walk people [89 this year], but he can strike out hitters at will.

I hear that Omar is still interested in Posada, and is talking to Lo Duca's agent. I guess Pauly is the fall back option once again. I wonder how he feels to be Omar's last choice and not his 1st. Posada wants a 4 year deal. He's 36 and I can't see him lasting 4 more years behind the plate. And I heard a rumor of a monster deal for Jorge coming from Omar. 5 years and $70,000,000.00 !!!!!!!! Is Omar f-c-ing CRAZY????? What happens when Posada can't catch anymore? He'll be an awfully expensive bench player. The more I hear about who Omar is interested in, the more I wonder about his underlying motives and grand plan for the Mets.

I have a bad feeling about this off season. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't believe Omar will do the things needed to build this team for the future. I think he's building a team to save his and Witless Willie's job for this year. Not to win numerous titles over the years to come.

No comments: