Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Impressions of Jerry Manuel

I was fortunate to be home in time today to hear the Press conference with Omar and Manuel this afternoon. Omar explained his reasoning for the timing of the firing, and take it for what it's worth, he was troubled in making the decision. He said that he didn't want to wait any longer because it was becoming a huge distraction, and he didn't want Willie hearing it from a reporter. So be it. Believe him or not, he did what was needed. Get a manager and new coaches to change the way of thinking in the clubhouse.

Jerry spoke after Omar had said some interesting things. Tell me if any of these things expressed by Jerry sound familiar.

1- "Just because a guy bats 4th one day, doesn't mean he'll bat 4th the next day."

2- "I would have reminded the team about last year, and used that as a springboard to motivate the team."

3- "I want our young pitchers to go longer in the games. I don't think 120-130 pitches is too many pitches. I want our starters to go 7-8 innings. We have young strong pitchers here. We don't want them getting hurt, but we shouldn't be looking at pitch counts so much." {or something to that effect}

4- "I think we need to define the 6-7 inning reliever's roles." All too often, they didn't know their responsibility's.

5- "I want to rest our star players. That means Wright, Reyes, Beltran will be rested." David came to Jerry today, and said he wanted to play today. Jerry told him " Your DHing tonight".

6- "I poured my heart and soul out to Willie about game situations. But it's his decision weather to use that advice or not"

7- "I'm a very good communicator. I can relate and get my point across to the players" This statement was confirmed by Jerry former boss with the WhiteSox. He said that Jerry is very good at making the verbal connections to each individual player. He knows what to say to get the most out of each player. Jerry knows what buttons to push to get the most from the players.

8- "I believe the #2 hole should be more of a run producing spot. We should have more pop in that spot."

9- "I don't believe in stealing a base just to steal a base. If it's beneficial to the team and the offense, then we should steal. But there is a time and a place to steal bases."


I don't know about any of you out there, but that sure sounds like a night and day difference from Willie. It doesn't sound like there will be anything taken for granted, and nobody should be getting too comfortable on the team. From what Jerry was saying, it sounded like Beltran had better start delivering, or he won't be hitting 4th. I also believe Castillo's days as the #2 hitter are over. Beltran, David, Ryan, ect could be seeing time in that spot. Sounds like my train of thought a few weeks ago when I was arguing that the team was better served with Ryan in the 2 hole, and not Castillo. Why should the 2 hole be an automatic out? I think I may get to like Jerry. He may not be a fire breathing Pinella type, but he definitely isn't a Witless Willie type.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too was happy to hear manuel. all that we have heard is how similiar to willie he is. that may turn out to be true, but my initial impression of him is very positive. He sounded very relaxed and natural with the media, a far cry from the defensive and arrogant willie. whether manuel works out or not I am happy. we don't have to look at that dumbass in the dugout anymore!

Dan the Mets Fan said...

the no. 2 hole with Castillo is nit an automatic out. He has an on-base percentage of .368. How the hell is that an automatic out?!?

Scrot said...

Reyes needs to be benched for that bratty ass tantrum he threw. Dude, you're not 19 anymore. Grow up. Great example to set, Jose. Don't give a shit if you apologized or not.

Steve Phillips has been very "nice" to the Wilpon's on the radio in the last couple of days. Is it possible that he senses that Minaya is on the chopping block and would like to make a run for his old job? Anyone else have thoughts?

Dan the Mets Fan said...

Well, I doubt they'd re-hire Steve Phillips but I never had an issue with him. What I liked about him was that he listened to the people who worked for him (although that didn't always work out). It takes a smart man to realize he doesn't have all the answers. This type of thinking led him to sign Reyes (even though most of the other team's scouts thought Reyes had no future in baseball) but also led him to trust Peterson and trade Kazmir for Zambrano.

But as an ESPN fan, I'd like him to stay put since I generally agree with a lot of his analyses.

Dan the Mets Fan said...

Bobby Valentine for GM!!!!!! Now that would sure open some eyes.

Scrot said...

I thought that the whole Kazmir/Zambrano shit went down shorty after Phillips was fired. Wasn't it Jim Duquette that made that call?

Anonymous said...

It was duquette, as i recall