Sunday, June 1, 2008

Random Thoughts on a Trip to Shea

As you've seen I was at the game yesterday in Shea Stadium. As I hoped, the game had a good ending and the bad weather stayed away. We arrived about 1.5 hours before the game and I got a chance to check a few things out.


While waiting for the game to start, I got a chance to see Ryan Church going thru some drills under the watchful eye of Jerry Manuel and one of the trainers. He was simulating a plate appearance, running to first base, taking a lead off first, and then running to 3rd base. He also did the same drill but simulating a double, and then going home on a hit. I was hoping to see him play, but I have a feeling he's going to be in the line-up for Sunday's game. Ryan was also in the field shagging throws from the trainer as he ran away from Jerry and the Trainer. It looked like a drill from a football practice. Ryan was simulating going back on fly balls as they head for the wall. He seemed to handle everything fine.

As much as Shea Stadium means to so many people, it is a cramped environment. The Stadium is smaller than it appears on TV, and the seat have little room between them. It's hard to get out of your seat and get to the aisle without feeling like you may go for a fly. LOL. Getting out of the stadium requires you to file out and down narrow corridors no wider than 20'. While everything moved along at a decent pace, stopping in the line of traffic wasn't a good idea. If you wanted a souvenirs or something else on the way out, it was a chore to get to where you needed to go. Maybe it's just me, but I can see were Citi-Field will be much more fan friendly before, during, and after the game.
Of course when you go to a game you have to eat some food and have a drink or two. Hotdogs at $4.75-$5.00, sausage and peppers sandwiches for $7.50 and Bud Light in a Shea Stadium bottle for $8.00 were all on the menu. The beer was for my Dad, but I had both the hotdogs and sausage. Both were good, if not a little pricey. I'm used to getting 2 dogs for $1.50 around here, and Sausage and peppers goes for $5.00 at the fair. But everyone was nice and the food tasted good.
All and all it was a good day. I wish I could go back down to the Yankee- Mets game on the 28th of June. But My brother from Ohio is coming into town that weekend, so I guess I'll have to wait for a game next year in Citi-Field to see the Mets pummel the Yankees.

No comments: