Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Future of the Mets pitching staff

This is going to be a different type of blog entry this time. I have a question for any and all Mets fans out there that visit this blog. The question has 2 parts. I'll give you my views, and then you tell me yours.

Part 1.- Who do you want on the post season pitching roster. Consider all the needs and the players.

Part 2.- Who do you want on the pitching staff for opening day next year. Consider all current Mets players in NY or any Mets farm team. And, also consider any possible trades and free agents on the market. Remember there can only be 12 pitchers total.

Here's my part 1 answer. Starting pitchers - Pedro [if healthy], Perez, Maine, Glavine.

bull pen pitchers - Wagner, El Duque, Pelfrey, Heilman, Feliciano,
Mota, Schoenenweis, Humber

Here's my part 2 answer. Starting pitchers - Pedro, Maine, Perez, Johan Santana, Pelfrey

Bull pen pitchers - El Duque [long man, spot starter]
- Billy Wagner -closer
- Mota {unfortunately under contract}
- Scott Schoenenweis
- Pedro Feliciano
- Dwaner Sanchez
- Joe Smith

If someone would take Mota, I'd have no problem with Humber replacing him. Heilman I believe is a free agent after this year. He wants to be a starter, so I think he'll walk to another team. If Sanchez doesn't come back, I'd fill his spot with Humber.

This subject always seems to bring up a lot of discussion when on TV or in print. I would love to hear what everyone out there thinks. Maybe the Mets brass will learn something from all of us. lol.

10 comments:

Dan the Mets Fan said...

I'd want Pedro, Glavine, El Duke and if it's against the Braves, Perez, if it's against anyone else, John Maine. With Humber, Pelfrey and Perez/Maine in the bullpen, the Mets can afford the starters to be on very short leashes.

Next year, there's no way we're getting Santana. The Twins are not going to let him go. Next year, Pedro, El Duke, Perez, Maine and Pelfrey.

Dan the Mets Fan said...

Sorry everyone. I screwed up. I completely forgot about Sosa. He should and could fit into the post season and 2008 bullpen somewhere. The problem is too many goos relievers and not enough places. I guess that's a good problem to have.

Dan the Mets Fan said...

I think everything possible needs to be done to get Santana. He's going into a walk year and the Twins won't be able to resign him. The Mets have plenty of trade bait, if an extension can be worked out with Johan. I hear he has the same agant as Reyes. The Mets could send a package like this to the Twins. Milledge [fills their need of a young, cheap, center fielder], Humber, or Heilman,and some other minor league pitcher. It would be alot, but Santana would be worth it.

Dan the Mets Fan said...

I don't think they should give up Milledge. I'd rather give up Gomez than Milledge.

Dan the Mets Fan said...

Gomez is faster and playes a better outfield. I think He has more potential than Milledge. But. don't you agree that an all out effort must be made to get Santana? If the Mets wait until he hits the free agent market, they'll be in a bidding war with the Yankees.

Dan the Mets Fan said...

I think the Mets have enough young talent that they can develop into better pitchers. I worry about the cost of Santana and also that he really relies on his changeup too much and I don't want another Glavine. What about Peavy? The Padres won't be able to afford him either and he's phenomenal and knows how to pitch an NL game.

Dan the Mets Fan said...

Guinness,
Santana throws a fastball at 95+ mph, and a 78mph change-up. He is nothing like Glavine. He's been winning 15-20 games every year while pitching in the AL. He could win 20 games a year numerous times for the Mets, and have an ERA under 3. Think of him as a young lefthanded Pedro.

Dan the Mets Fan said...

And yet, Santana has trouble beating the guys who see him the most, the Indians. I worry he'll have the same problem with the Braves or the Phillies. What do you think of getting Jake Peavy?

Dan the Mets Fan said...

Is Peavy a free agent this year or next? If he's a free agant, then you once again get into a bidding war. Plus, Peavy is right handed. I'd rather trade for a pitcher in another league than the same league. That way they can't come back to bite you. Just imagine if the Mets had traded Kasmir to the some NL team. Scary. I don't know, either would be welcome, but the point is the Mets can't afford to keep Glavine for another year when those resources could be used to get a dominating pitcher. Wheather it be Peavy, Santana, or Willis [who would come cheap after this year].

Dan the Mets Fan said...

I think Peavy has one more year but already said that San Diego would not be able to afford him.