Sunday, September 2, 2007

Mets sweep Braves to the curb

Guinness, You sound like you got a little excited today. I want to say it's about time Glavine decided to beat the Braves and Smoltz. I was getting tired of watching him throw batting practice to his old buddys. I must say though, that even my father was complaining about how Glavine was pitching to start the game.

Here's my thoughts of this game and weekend.
1- I never claimed to be a great speller. I sometimes type too fast and hit the wrong keys. So give me a break Guinness. LOL
2- Delgado cost Wagner that run in the 9th. Why was he playing 15 feet off the line in the 9th Inning? I thought the standard defense late in games was to play the line. Just like David did in the 8th that saved a double. If Delgado is within 5 feet of the line, that hit is no worse than a single, and probably an out.
3- Just because you say the Mets only followed 3 of my rules doesn't mean they're not valid. I say they followed more like 5 of the 7. It just means the Mets were lucky. Francouer, Chipper, and Andrew Jones have a history of hurting the Mets. No matter how bad they are hitting, they always seem to get big hits. The pitchers did a good job keeping them off balance and working to their weaknesses.
4- Willie surprised me by playing his "A" line up. My Father and me were expecting him to play at least 3 bench players today. Maybe Omar told him that beating the Braves IS IMPORTANT!!!
5- I think Willie did ok with the pen. But I think he could have let Glavine go a little longer. Willie wasn't going to bring Wagner into yesterday's game because it wasn't a save situation for him. Twice the weekend the Mets scored runs in the 9th inning. That took Billy out of the equation.
6- My faith was restored in the ability of the Mets to show some toughness. I was worried that they'd come into this series hanging their heads. But I think the Great pitching of John Maine gave them some hope. From the 1st inning Friday when John set the Braves down in order, it was onward and upward from there. Now lets hope Pedro brings some magic with him to Cincy.

And I still say my "7 rules of engagement" should be the guide to winning baseball. The Mets would never lose because of them, but they can and could lose when they don't follow them.

What do all of you think? Are my "7 Rules of Engagement" good guide lines to winning baseball?

1 comment:

Dan the Mets Fan said...

I actually agree with Glavine being pulled when Franco was put in to pinch hit for Smoltz. Franco is able to hit offspeed pitches and he still has a great eye. What he couldn't do was catch up with a 90+ fastball. So about the only fastball he was going to hit was Glavine's.